Women pursuing breast reconstruction after their cancer diagnosis for a variety of personal reasons. At Peak Plastic Surgery Center, Dr. Barker strives to provide each patient pursing breast reconstruction with a individualized surgical plan while working wi.th their breast oncology team, in order to obtain optimal results.
After a referral from your breast surgical oncologist, each patient will meet with Dr. Barker to discuss the surgical plan and address what reconstructive needs will be necessary. There are a variety of techniques that will be offered to obtain desired outcomes. However, this will greatly differ between each patient due to the complex nature of breast cancer reconstruction. Dr. Barker will work with you, your breast surgeon and the oncology team to decide what appropriate technique will be utilized. Whether the appropriate surgery is a staged approach, direct to implant at the initial surgery, skin sparring or nipple sparring technique, we will ensure you are comfortable and well informed. At Peak Plastic Surgery Center, our ultimate goal is not only to restore natural appearance to the breast, but also to provide emotional support throughout their treatment plan. We understand that this can be a very difficult time for the you and your support system, we want to ensure breast reconstruction is as easy and stress-free as possible.
"Dr. Barker and his team are AMAZING!!! From day 1 of my consultation into week 4 after my breast augmentation surgery, everybody in his office are so accommodating and professional. I am soooo happy with my results!!! I showed him several pics of my “goal” breasts before surgery and he 💯 nailed it. They are exactly what I hoped for and look very natural with the gummy bear implants that were used. I was prepared for a lot of pain after surgery, and opted for a pain blocker shot...well...that shot was a game changer. i didn’t feel much pain at all for 72 hours after the surgery. The whole experience was a lot easier than i ever imagined. Go see Dr. Barker....you won’t regret it!!!"- L.L / Office Visit / Jan 26, 2021
"“I am very excited about my new look, I feel much better about myself, I have new confidence and people tell me I carry myself differently. Dr. Barker was highly recommended to me and more than exceeded my expectations. I had a great experience and have only good things to say about my experience at Peak Plastic Surgery Center”."- E.H / Office Visit / Jan 12, 2021
"I have seen Peak Plastic surgery center twice and both times Dr Barker has done an amazing job. True talent at what he does. I got some body Lipo ( all over ) and A breast Aug/ lift I am so so pleased at my fantastic results. **minimal pain ** I highly recommend Dr Barker for any of your needs."- S.L. / Google / Jan 02, 2021
"What an amazing experience! The results were amazing on top loving to visit their office and staff. I highly recommend them to all my friends and family."- Anonymous / Office Visit / Nov 01, 2020
Breast Reconstruction Overview and Expectations
Goals of surgery
Restore the natural appearance of the breast after resection breast cancer. Each patient will have a predetermined surgical and recovery plan to ensure this process is as comfortable as possible. While working with your breast surgeon and oncology team, Dr. Barker will offer a skin vs. nipple sparing technique as well as a staged vs. direct to implant technique.
- Anesthesia: general anesthesia by a highly trained anesthesia provider.
- Length: Typically 2.5+ hours, may need to be performed in multiple stages depending on extent of resection and patient goals.
Post Operative Care
- Incision will be closed with dissolvable sutures and covered with a small sterile surgical dressing.
- Patients may require an inpatient hospital stay pending the type of surgery performed.
- Drains will also be utilized during the first stage of the operation. Removal is dependent on individual drain output. Patients will receive instruction on drain management prior to discharge.
Patient will be placed in a no-wire surgical bra, which will be recommended for the first 6 weeks of recovery.
Patient will be permitted to shower after drain removal and/or 48 hours after surgery if no drains are placed.
- Pain control will be determined on an individual patient basis, as it is highly variable based upon surgical plan.
- Breast discomfort is to be expected after surgery. Each patient's recovery will be largely dependent on the type of resection and reconstruction performed.
- Patients will continue to avoid strenuous activity for the first 6 weeks following surgery. Patients are usually cleared for full activity without restrictions after 3 months.
- Swelling is expected during the first 2 to 3 months after surgery, and typically resolves in 6 months.
- Day 1 to 2: Discharge from hospital (highly variable pending surgical plan)
- Day 7 to 10: First post operative visit, drain evaluation with possible removal, weaned off pain medications, will discuss return to work plan
- 2 to 3 weeks: Second post operative visit
- 4+ weeks: Variable follow up pending surgery performed